XBox 83118853 Temp Workaround – It Works!

Written by stevenba. Posted in Leisure, Technology

My son, like a lot of 11 year old, spends hours playing Minecraft on his XBox 360, whilst collaborating with his friends. This week he has been unable to sign into Live, and I have been trying to resolve it for him. It immediately looks like a glitch on Microsofts end.

The Problem

When he logs into Live on his XBox, he’s presented with a message:

“Before you can sign in here, you’ll need to sign at xbox.com.

Your parent will also need to sign in there so they can give you permission.

code 83118853 “

Code 83118853 is the error code. I follow instructions and log into xbox.com using my sons credentials and receive the message:

“You need a parent’s permission

Before you can sign in to this Microsoft account and use it with Microsoft websites and services, you need a parent’s permission. If your parent is available now, ask them to sign in to this PC.”

I click ‘have a parent sign in’ and get:

“We were unable to sign you in

Your account is missing a full name or date of birth. Visit account.live.com to update the required information, then try again.”

So I try again, my sons tries to log in on his Xbox again and so it goes on. I called Microsoft. They are aware of this problem and advise me of their status page:

xboxCapture

20/12/2013 23:31:24 GMT:

Share Button

Tags: ,

Trackback from your site.

stevenba

Software engineer, IT graduate, freelancer, Wordpress specialist, DBA and former professional musician, my expertise is helping businesses take control and maximize every aspect of their digital marketing. Passions include music, board sports and motorcycle road racing,

Comments (17)

• agonizedurchin

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you.
    I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. All the best from all of us :0)

• stevenba

No trouble. I could only imagine an Xmas holiday where my kids were locked out of Xbox Live 😉

• capalmer

Tried that but it doesn’t seem to work for me. This has been going on for over a week now and they still haven’t fixed it. What because they brought out the xbox one now they can’t be bothered with xbox360 customers? I for one won’t be buying another Microsoft product.

• stevenba

Cathie,
      Sorry to hear the link didnt work. This is a PR disaster for MS. The timing (i.e. Xmas) couldnt be worse. I have still not been notified of any fix yet they have the attitude of referring to their Terms rather than put anything right.
      Regards,
      Steve

• chomp

it’s not an XBox 360 issue, it’s an issue with XBox Live accounts so I fully expect the situation to be same if we had an XBox One. This is two weekends in a row now.

Looking like PS4 for the kids’ next gen console. I might get an XBox One just for me in a few years. Unless PS4 draws me in while they’re playing it.

• pete cape

It worked. Thank you so much. Some happy children here for Christmas.

Now if only I can work out how to turn them into adults 🙂 without losing their gamertags or gold subscriptions

(or turn them onto PS3 again – free online gaming….)

thanks again

• stevenba

Pete,

Glad it worked.

All the best,

Steve

• Colin

Had this problem all Christmas Day.

Managed to fix it by logging into hotmail.com using the email address of the child’s account and changing the date of birth on the hotmail account to pretend the child is an adult.

Removed and installed accounts on xbox one, now works fine.

Same works for xbox 360, but the child account will need to be promoted to an adult account on xbox I’ve.

• jeff

Hi,

My son still can’t access xbox live as when he goes to logon it prompts a update which begins to download & then stops after a few minutes and a error status code appears. Is this linked to problem already discussed as I’ve tried to bypass using suggestions above but I can seem to do anything due to update prompt overriding any attempts to login to live. To make things worse his live is expired now (boxing day) and it won’t let me redeem new 12 month gold subscription until update is completed? Annoyed & frustrated any ideas please.

Thanks

• Martin Price

Thanks a million Steve, this worked for me. I hope Microsoft feel shamed into fixing this and apologising – not holding my breath though.

• Wendy

Thank you! With this workaround he was able to access his account first time after almost 2 weeks of not being able to. I hope they come up with a longer term solution very soon in case this workaround stops working! My son and I are very grateful to you!

• Sarah

Thank you!! Happy son & happy mum! Happy New Year

• Mel

OMG!! Thanks you so much! Simple yet effective. My 12yr old is now my best friend thanks to you 🙂

• Richard

Thank you very much; spent nearly a week talking to xbox support via Twitter (@XboxSupport2 / @XboxSupport). I got fed up and said I was going to check google for a fix! You’re the 2nd site I tried for this error code and it worked for my son straight away. Thanks very much my son is well happy. Poor that the support guys don’t know their product…!!

• Nicky kosecki

THANK YOU!!!!! Have spent weeks going round in circles trying to resolve this -amazing!! Nicky

• Declan

THANK YOU!! Bloody Microsoft – seriously rubbish.